Early modern newspaper collections online
A mixture of survey sites and specific collections in European libraries.
- Biblioteca Digital Siglo del Oro – based at Universidade da Coruña, includes a catalogue of Relaciones de Sucesos
- Burney Collection – British newsprint from the 17th and 18th centuries. Available for free from British higher education institutions or onsite at the British Library; otherwise by subscription.
- Fuggerzeitungen – research and digitisation project on the collection of Fugger manuscript newspapers in the Viennes National Library.
- Gazeta de Lisboa – Early 18th-century Portuguese newspaper.
- Gazetas manuscritas da Biblioteca Pública de Évora – 18th Century handwritten Portuguese newsletters.
- Gazetier universel – links to digital images of French-language newspapers and periodicals, a number of them from the 17th century.
- La Gazette de Renaudot – a searchable database (with images) of all issues of the Gazette from 1683, 1685, and 1689, with useful supplementary resources.
- Le Gazette Bolognesi – 1645-1796. An image-only database of early Italian newspapers, browsable by date.
- ICON – International Coalition Newspapers. An index of newspaper digitation projects from all over the world.
- JANUS – Estudios sobre el Siglo de Oro. A new, online open-access journal on the literature and culture of the Spanish Golden Age, with a particular emphasis on (among others) newsbooks and pamphlets in early modern Spain.
- Koninklijke Bibliotheek, Den Haag – pilot project digitising Dutch language newsprint from 1618 to 1945.
- Mercure Francois – 1605-1643. Not strictly a newspaper, but an important resource for the early history of newsprint nonetheless. Digitised and hosted by the Ecole des Hautes-Etudes en Sciences Sociales.
- “Mercúrio Português” – 1663-7. Early Portuguese printed newsbook, hosted by the National Library of Portugal.
- Relaciones de Sucesos – News pamphlets held in the University Library of Seville.
- Relation– Digital images of the world’s oldest newspaper, printed at Strasbourg from 1605. Hosted by the university library of Ruprecht-Karls-Universität, Heidelberg.
- SIERS – Website of the Sociedad Internacional para el Estudio de las Relaciones de Sucesos (International Society for the study of Newsbooks).
- Zeitschriftendatenbank – comprehensive database of online newspapers and periodicals from the 16th century to the present.
Network Analysis and Visualization Software Tools
- Circos is a software package for visualizing data and information. Circos visualises data in a circular layout.
- Gephi is a platform the visualization of various kinds of networks and complex systems, dynamic and hierarchical graphs.
- GUESS is an exploratory data analysis and visualization tool for graphs and networks.
- igraph is a free software package for graph theory and network analysis.
- MapEquation works to simplify and highlight important structures within complex systems.
- MatlabBGL is a Matlab package designed to work with large sparse graphs with hundreds of thousands of nodes.
- NetDraw is a free Windows program for visualizing social network data.
- NetworkX is a software package the allows for the creation, manipulation, and study of the structure, dynamics, and functions of complex networks.
- NodeXL is an Excel add-in which combines data collection and visualization.
- PAJEK is a program that allows for large network analysis.
- SpaTo Visual Explorer is an interactive software tool for the visualization and exploration of complex networks.
- Stanford Network Analysis Platform (SNAP) is a general purpose, high performance system for the manipulation and analysis of large networks.
- UCINET is a powerful software package for the analysis of social network data.
- VennMaker is an easy to use tool for collecting and quantitatively analysing data in social network analysis.